Mingana, Early Spread of Christianity, 24-36, 73-76;
by Atiya, History of Eastern Christianity, 265-266; Moffett, History
of Christianity in Asia, 464; Stewart, Nestorian Missionary
84-85; and Vine, Nestorian Churches, cited in Moffett, 372.
(NW of Khurasan)
|Khurasan||Abrashahr/Iran Shahr (modern Nishapur)||Bishop (424)|
|Adiabene||Erbil||Metropolitan before 500?(2)|
|Tabaristan (N of Damawand)||Amul||Bishop (554)|
|Armenia||Metropolitan (779-823): 13th in rank|
|Arran (W of Caspian Sea)||Barda||Bishop (420)||Metropolitan (c. 900)|
|Atropatene (Azerbaijan)||Taurisium||Metropolitan before 500?(3)|
|Badisi/Badhgis (N of Herat)||Bishop (585)|
|Bukhara||Metropolitan before 8th century|
|Bushanj (W of Herat)||Bishop (585)|
|China (Sin & Masin)||Chang-an/Hsian-fu (Xi'an)||Metropolitan (628-643 or 712-728?)(4): 11th or 14th in rank? (5)|
|Dailumaye/Beith (near Caspian Sea)||Mukar||Bishop (225)||Metropolitan (c. 780)|
|Damascus||Damascus||Metropolitan (before end of 7th century)|
|Fars||Rewardashir||Metropolitan (399-410 or 415-420)(6): 6th in rank|
|Garamea||Beit Garmai, later Shahrzur or Karkh/Kirkuk||Metropolitan (325-341): 5th in rank|
|Khurasan||Herat||Bishop (424)||Metropolitan (585)(7): 9th in rank?|
|Halwan||Halwan||Metropolitan (628-643)(8): 8th in rank|
|India||Patna?||Metropolitan (628-643 or 712-728?)(9): 10th or 15th in rank?|
|Java||Metropolitan (1503)(10): 15th in rank?|
|Jerusalem||Jerusalem||Bishop (835)||Metropolitan (1065)|
|Jilan/Gilan (SW coast of Caspian Sea)||Bishop(554)|
|Jundishapur (Elam?)||Beit Lapat/ Jundishapur||Bishop (225)||Metropolitan (290-325)(11): 1st in rank|
|Jurjan (SE coast of Caspian Sea)||Bishop (497)|
|Kadistan (near Herat)||Bishop (585)|
|China/Turkestan||Kashgar & Nuakith||Metropolitan (1180)(12): 27th in rank|
|Hyrcania (on Caspian Sea)||Khamlikh/Halah||Bishop (???)|
|China||Khan Balik & Falik (Peking)||Bishop||Metropolitan (1248): 25th in rank|
|China (north China)||Khatai||Metropolitan (1063)|
|Khurasan||Merv||Bishop (424)||Metropolitan (544)(13): 7th in rank|
|Merv-ar-Rud (S of Merv)||Bishop (544)|
|Mosul (Assyria?)||Mosul||Metropolitan (290-325)(14): 4th in rank|
|Nisibis/Beit 'Arbaye||Nisibis||Metropolitan (290-325): 2nd in rank|
|Patriarchalis||Kashkar||Metropolitan before 500?(15)|
|Rayy||Rayy (near Teheran)||Bishop (424)||Metropolitan (c. 778)|
|Turkestan||Samarkand||possibly same as Bishopric of Turkestan established for the Hephthalite Huns in 549?||Metropolitan (early 8th century)(16): 12th or 21st in rank?|
|Syria||Metropolitan (779-823): 14th in rank|
|China (Gansu Province)||Tangut||possibly same as Bishopric established by Timothy for Tibet in 781?||Metropolitan: 26th in rank|
|Teredon (Prath Maishan)||Basrah||Bishop (225)||Metropolitan (290-325): 3rd in rank|
|Turkestan (Hephthalite Huns)||Bishop (549)||Metropolitan (781?): 10th or 22nd in rank?|
|Khurasan||Tus (near Mashad)||Bishop (497)|
1. All dates are the earliest recorded date a bishop or metropolitan is mentioned. Some dates are given as specific years and others are recorded as "during the patriarchate of _________" and therefore are indicated as a range of years.
2. According to Vine. Moffett gives this as the 4th in rank.
3. According to Vine.
4. Other dates mentioned in some sources are 410-415 or 505-523, but these seem too early to be accurate. Vine gives the date as about 636.
5. Rankings differ according to different sources.
6. Vine gives the date as between 500 and 650; Moffett gives it as 554.
7. Other dates mentioned in some sources are 410-415 or 505-523, but these seem too early to be accurate.
8. Vine gives the date as 754, but Moffett gives it as 642.
9. Other dates mentioned in some sources are 410-415 or 505-523, but these seem too early to be accurate. Vine gives the date as about 800.
10. Java must have had a metropolitan long before this, the earliest date on record.
11. Vine gives the date as 834.
12. Mingana thinks that there was actually a metropolitan here as early as 650 AD.
13. Other dates proposed are 399-410 or 415-420.
14. Vine gives the date as 651.
15. According to Vine.
16. Various dates are mentioned in different
for a bishop in Samarkand, including 410-415, 505-523, 628-643 or
Vine gives the date for a metropolitan as 781.
|The Nestorian Page||Oxus Home Page||Church of the East Article|